The basic Active Service uniform was a combination of the Officers '02 Pattern Service Dress & Breeches, all of superior cut & quality to the OR's uniform. In 1914 it consisted of the following:
- '02 Service Dress Cap, with the RA Gun/Crown/Cipher bronze badge & brass RA buttons.
- '02 Service Dress Jacket, with RA buttons, RA bronze Collar Dogs & RFA brass shoulder titles, with all rank displayed in cloth badges on the sleeve cuffs (edged & scalloped at the closure, with herring-bone pattern khaki tape).
- Breeches, Bedford Cord with Braces
- Khaki Shirt & Tie
- Field Boots (Knee length brown leather) or
- Ankle Boots (brown leather) & Puttees (wrapped from knee to ankle)
- Sam Brown Belt, Spurs & Gloves, brown leather
Other clothing / equipment consisted of:
- Remainder of the Sam Brown rig with 'closed' type holster & ammunition pouch but no sword frog
- Binoculars & brown leather case
- Cavalry Pattern Water Bottle & harness
- Map Case
- Whistle & lanyard
- Walking Stick